Office 2011: how to change the product ID

By this time last year I was having the same problem with Office 2008 product ID activation code. Today, after having reinstalled the Office 2011 on my MacBook Pro that stopped to working for a non-well known reason, I was having some other trouble with the Office 2001 activation process.

I don’t know what’s happened with the previous installation nor what went wrong with the activation I did, but I was having the suspect the pressing the Trial mode wasn’t the proper thing to do, so I was looking for a way to remove that “trial activation ID” to provide the one that I legally purchased.

However, there was no way to obtain the “Activate by telephone”option, even turning off my Wi-Fi network. So in the desperate attempt to remove the product ID I approached to this official Microsoft Page (KB 2394111) that explains how to do that.

I’ll keep it simple for you, if you don’t want to open their Knoweledge base, also because I got stucked at point number 6, as I wasn’t able to locate the “Office Registrarion Cache” or the “OLE Regitration Database” as mentioned at point number 8. I even didn’t rebooted my mac, so the only thing I’ve done was to delete the com.microsoft.office.plist available in the library/preferecences folder.

That’s it. Once I’ve done this, as soon as I launched Word, I got my registration form which I used to activate my product.

Everything was fine, but I’ve now discovered that the previous file left by the old installation, that I removed manually, was the cause of everything. Essentially my product was already activated and for this reason Office was refusing to activate again. Unfortunately, the message returned by the form was completely misleading letting me drive mad and to waste precious time that I would have been happy to use for something else!

Technorati Tags:office,mac, installation ID

When your Mic doesn’t work on your Mac

It looks like I’m not so much lucky with audio and Macs. In the last 24 hours, I have been struggling to understand why my Plantronics headphone’s mic wasn’t working in the same manner it was before I left Italy last year.

I even brought the headphone at my workplace and tested on a Windows system to be sure it was a microphone’s fault. However, with big surprise the mic worked fine on Windows. So I thought the London’s air have been beneficial to the set, and almost happy I went back home where I connected the set once more to my Macs discovering that it wasn’t.

I was so upset that I opened the chassis to see if some wire was hampered, then I started looking after a replacement, but the classic “genius moment” arose in my mind.

How is it possible the set worked properly one year ago, it was working this morning, and it is not right now? I suddenly remembered that the headphone was connected to the Mac using an USB adapter. We all know what and USB does, don’t we?

If you don’t know, the answer is pretty simple. USB carries out a slight amount of electricity and that’s what the Line Output socket of a Mac doesn’t.

This apparently seems to be a common problem with all electret type microphones. This means that in the mic there is a field effect transistor that requires a power supply. A so low-level voltage (I would say less than 12V) which both PC’s socket (mic input) and USB connector provide.

So, next time you are wondering why your mic is not working on a Mac, let’s read this post first.

Now the problem is another. Where did I damn stock my Plantronics USB connector?

Technorati tags: 

Should I buy PPC ads if I rank organically?

You have optimized your website, and now it ranks in the top ten for all your major keywords and first for several. Of course, the web site rank first for the brand name (and if it doesn’t, then you really need to examine your online marketing strategy!)

The question at this point is: should you pack in the pay-per-click (PPC) adverts? Continue reading Should I buy PPC ads if I rank organically?

Google Analytics: merge the traffic from the whole domain

A couple of days ago I get in a small issue working on a google analytics account and the referrers showed into the traffic sources. GA was showing the domain monitored as a traffic source without no apparent reason.

Google AnalyticsAfter a bit of investigation, the problem has been identified. The web site was serving its contact module with an SSL protocol under a subdomain.
The problem wasn’t the SSL Certiicate nor the subdomain; the webmaster was simply unaware that subdomains are treatead as different entities into the web analytics platform unless they are instructed to do the opposite.

Continue reading Google Analytics: merge the traffic from the whole domain